Saturday, January 26, 2013

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies




My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie!
I guess I should preface this recipe with a note that for the first 5 years of my cooking life I could not make a chocolate chip cookie to save my LIFE.  Seriously, they are supposed to be simple, right?  At 10 I could make dinner for my family (it was edible, most of the time), but I could not make a stupid cookie.  I practiced and practiced until I had an "aha" moment and realized that when you bake you HAVE to follow directions.  I am not so great at following directions, crazy since I am a teacher :)  I love this recipe because you melt and brown the butter.  I do not have to remember to set butter out to make them, that annoys me with other recipes.  I also love it because you can mix it by hand and do not have to dirty your mixer.  It is the the perfect combo of sweet, salty, and chocolate.  Hope you love them as much as my family does.


Each recipe yields 16 large cookies.  Do not make them smaller because the texture will not be quite right. All of the pictures below are from a double batch (one is never enough).  I have also started making this with "white" whole wheat flour, so that I can bump the fiber.  They are just as delicious, but a smidge healthier.

On another note, this recipe is based off a "Cooks Illustrated" recipe with some variations to my tastes.  

Ingredients 

1 3/4 cups flour (your choice of the type, I almost always use white whole wheat)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 sticks unsalted or salted butter (I use salted)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar (I use dark muscavado sugar)
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. real vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips ( I prefer at least 60% cacao chips)

Directions

1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, place the brown and white sugar and salt. 
2.  Cut up 1/4 cup of the butter and set it on top of the sugar in the bowl, set aside.

3.  In a light colored saute pan, cook the remaining butter until it turns a light, nutty brown.  Follow the directions below with the pictures. 
Melt the butter (remember this is a pic from a double batch)
It will start to bubble, keep stirring.


Keep going...
It will foam up and the milk solids will start to brown.
This is now browned butter.


This is how you know you did it right, nutty brown solids in the pan. Make sure to scrape these yummies into the bowl!


3.  Pour the browned butter in the bowl, stir until the sugar and other butter is melted.  Let it sit for 3 minutes and then stir again.  Once it is cooled, add in the egg and egg yolk.  Stir until combined. 

5.  Add in the flour and baking soda, stir until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips. 


























6.  Using a large cookie scoop, scoop out the dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets.  Bake for 12-14 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment