1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped apple (I used Gala, but Granny Smith would be great)
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1- 1 1/2 cups caramel, warmed (my homemade recipe can be found here)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and put liners in cupcake pans.
2. Prepare the cake mix according the directions on the box. Add in the apples and pie spice.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
5. As the cupcakes are cooling, warm the caramel on the stove.
6. When the cupcakes are cool enough to handle, dip them into the warmed caramel. You will only get a light coating, don't worry!
7. Allow the caramel to cool slightly and then spoon a tbsp. of caramel on each cupcake and top with a stick or coffee stirrer. You can also top them with toasted and chopped nuts.