Sunday, December 9, 2012

Caramel Apple Cupcakes

I make homemade caramel and dip apples in my classroom each and every Halloween.  This year was my 11th year of doing it and I went a little crazy with the amount of caramel that I made and apples I bought, so I had to come up with a way to use them up.  This recipe is easy and quick.  You can sub in jarred caramel sauce, if you don't have leftover homemade.  

Enjoy!




Kate 

Ingredients- Makes 18 cupcakes

1 box yellow cake mix 
1 cup chopped apple (I used Gala, but Granny Smith would be great)
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice 
3 eggs
1 cup water 
1/3 cup oil
1- 1 1/2 cups caramel, warmed (my homemade recipe can be found here)

Directions

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and put liners in cupcake pans. 
2.  Prepare the cake mix according the directions on the box.  Add in the apples and pie spice. 
3.  Fill cupcake liners. 
4.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. 
5.  As the cupcakes are cooling, warm the caramel on the stove. 
6.  When the cupcakes are cool enough to handle, dip them into the warmed caramel.  You will only get a light coating, don't worry! 

7.  Allow the caramel to cool slightly and then spoon a tbsp. of caramel on each cupcake and top with a stick or coffee stirrer.  You can also top them with toasted and chopped nuts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment