Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pesto Tilapia with Bruschetta Topping

The hubby's portion
I made a commitment in the summer the try more fish.  Tilapia is the 4th one I have tried and the mildest by far.  I am glad I went with a strong sauce otherwise the fish would have pretty bland.  If you want to make your own pesto, go for it.  I happened to have a fabulous mother with a gorgeous garden who makes outstanding pesto.  I keep it in baggies in the freezer.  My mom's tomatoes are also the star in the bruschetta topping.  I used Tastefully Simple's Dried Tomato Pesto Mix because I didn't have a fresh garlic on hand or feel like wrestling with an onion (lazy day, what can I say?).  If you happen to have all of the ingredients to make the bruschetta without it then rock on my friend.

This dish got a hubby rating of two servings and a fish hating wife rating of, "I was able to eat almost 3/4 of my piece (the most fish I have ever eaten)".  Our poochieroo also enjoyed my leftovers.



Ingredients



Fish

1/2 cup prepared pesto
3 tilapia filets
salt and pepper to taste

Bruschetta 

1/2 loaf whole grain baguette (I buy mine at Panera, cut it in half, and freeze small portions).  Sliced and toasted in small rounds.
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. Tastefully Simple Dried Tomato Pesto Mix (see below for directions for the bruschetta without this)
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
4 large tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp. fresh chopped basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions for Fish

Remove fish from packaging.  Dry off with paper towels.  Season both sides with S & P.  Lightly coat a large sauté pan with cooking spray or olive oil.  When the pan is hot, place the fish in the pan.  Cook for 2 minutes, turn and cook on the other side.  Pour pesto over fish, spread to coat evenly.  Place the lid over pan, remove it from the heat and let sit for 3 minutes.

Directions for bruschetta

Prepare the TS Tomato Pesto Mix according to package directions, set aside.  Put chopped tomatoes in a medium bowl, sprinkle with S & P.  Pour over the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and dried tomato pesto mix, toss to coat.

Plating

Place 1 piece of fish on plate, use a large spoon to pour some additional on top.  Put 1 spoonful of bruschetta topping on fish.  Serve with additional bruschetta topping and baguette rounds.  Sprinkle with fresh basil. Drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar, if desired.

Bruschetta w/out seasoning mix

4 chopped tomatoes
1 small onion diced finely
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil

Mix all ingredients

2 comments:

  1. this looks absolutely fabulous. I am really going to try this one

    ReplyDelete